Saturday, January 03, 2009

The New Year, holiday travels, etcetera, so on and so forth

So everything that I've seen of the Midwest pretty much sucks, but Chicago is super awesome but it is definitely not awesome during those long winter months.

Ellen, Odie and I traveled to Chi-town for the holidays to hang out with her family and were welcomed by sub-zero temperatures, soul-chilling wind and frozen shit everywhere.

No...you don't understand how cold it was.

While attending the sold-out Bears-Packers game (yes...despite the -12 windchill and 20 mph winds, Soldier Field was packed out) my beer froze in my glitten (glove-mitten hybrid). Even with 8 layers of clothes, a wool scarf, a dumbass flannel cap ala Randy Quaid from National Lampoon's glory days I was forced to hang out in the men's room for warmth. Not my proudest moment, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and I knew deep down that the egregious amount of clothing I was rocking would give me a fighting chance at preventing any funny business from transpiring in the restroom, and even if it did, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't feel anything.

I'm not bashing Chicago, and I will admit that I had a blast but I will definitely travel there in the summer next time.
After spending a wonderful Christmas holiday in the Windy City, we hit the trail that was formerly known as dusty but is now known as treacherous and icy.

Four and a half hours after leaving Ellen's familial estate during a "heatwave" (it was a balmy 38 degrees) we were still attempting to traverse the Southside. Icy Roads + Rain + Fog + dumbass drivers = headaches all around and precious moments of your life that you will never get back.

After this debacle, we hit Indiana and things went from worse to worser than anyone could imagine (I realize poor grammar is an unorthodox method of illustrating a point, but I feel it is necessary to do so. Especially when one is discussing events that occur in Indiana. I will leave you with my thoughts regarding the matter: FUCK INDIANA!

A leisurely 800 mile drive and 14 hours later, we arrived in Maryland at my brother's abode for some much-needed rest.
Ellicot City is nestled between Baltimore and our nation's capital; thirty minutes in either direction.
They also have a brewery there with dollar beer specials on Sunday and Monday nights.
We arrived on Saturday and just took it easy after our long drive. But there was much rejoicing on Sunday night.

Maybe too much rejoicing.

Monday was going to be our big day in D.C. but most of it was spent lounging at the apt.
When we finally made it to D.C. it was after 4 p.m., but we still made it to the National Mall (not a retail outlet but the location of most of the free museums and not far from the Washington Monument, Lincoln and WWII Memorials, you get the picture).

2300 miles later we arrived back in the ATL and haven't done much other than going to see Hot Water Music on NYE (which was fantabulous!). It's nice to be back in the land of iceless roads and sweet tea and I'm looking forward to the New Year.

The New Year traditionally brings resolutions that people set and never have the time or gumption to realize, so I'm gonna skip all of that and just ramble on for a bit.

I still don't know what I wanna be when I grow up and I'm still okay with that. That being said, I'm starting to get a better idea of what I would like to do and I have a confession to make.

I am in the process of applying to start my Master's in Library and Information Science next fall. Yes, dear reader, that means that yours truly has aspirations of becoming a librarian. The ultimate game plan is to pursue a Ph. D in Music History/Musicology and become a Music Librarian but in the meantime, I would be perfectly content being paid to be a bookworm.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you two made it back safe. Us chronic worriers can breathe easier......

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home