Saturday, September 02, 2006

What a long, strange trip its been

Let me start off by saying that I abhor the Grateful Dead and most of the people that dig them. That being said, that quote pretty much sums up the past week. I broke up two fights in the past week, which was pretty exciting I suppose. I don't know what the fuck they're feeding these kids but they need some more fiber in their diets or something. So young and angry. I blame the schools. The winner for the most surreal experience of the past seven days has absolutely nothing to do with the schoolhouse or work-related incidents. I had the esteemed pleasure of visiting a local watering-hole in neighboring Twiggs county(the most appropriately named county in our blessed state). The aforementioned watering-hole is a cinder block structure that has been painted white(or was white at one time). My roommate noticed that "Monday-FREE POOL" was scrawled on the wall as he was driving home from work. We decided that this would be the perfect jumpstart to our week, playing pool and probably being shot at by Twiggs County's finest. After chugging a few beers to muster the courage to actually go, we made our way to the establishment, which I vaguely recall being called "Harvey's." I was greeted by a pack of mutt puppies upon entering the door and the cordial atmosphere stopped with the canines. If there was a record player in the house it would've stopped, unplugged itself, and broken itself on my face. I sat down at "the bar," if you will, and drank the most uncomfortable PBR of my life. As I sat there, I made the following observations, in no particular order: an older gentleman in overalls who had left his oxygen tank in the car so he could smoke in the bar; a bartender named Tammy with three good teeth and no shoes; a portly teenage girl wandering around the place greedily munching on a box of Nilla Wafers; fesces on the restroom floor that I can only hope the friendly puppies were responsible for; a mysterious back room that produced a lawn mower, gasoline, an industrial-sized fan, a garden house, and more random people in the 10 minutes that I was there; single-serve, microwavable Hamburger Helper packets(didn't know such things existed); and last but not least, a group of four or five grown men that went out to a minivan that didn't leave and smelled like burning. Let's just say we paid our tab and skeedaddled the fuck outta there. If the South rises again I'm going to shoot myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home