Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Rest in Peace Sweet Baby James

The Godfather of Soul passed on to greener pastures during the wee hours of Christmas day.
Last week I stumbled upon something that I think would make a fitting tribute to our fallen funky brother, but I need everyone's help.
On my way to band practice I discovered that it takes me one play of "The Payback" to get from my front door to Dan and Monica's front door(for those of you that don't know, we practice at their house and Dan is the Sax player).
My point: the world would be a much better place if we ditched our conventional method of timekeeping and described lengths of time using James Brown tunes exclusively. For example: my commute to work this morning took "Say It Loud (I'm Black and I'm Proud)" and "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" or I took a dump this morning that took three "Pass the Peas" to finish or you can brag to your friends that you had a saucy rendezvous with your best girl that lasted two runs of "Money Won't Change You," "Cold Sweat," "It's A Man's Man's Man's World," and the aptly named "Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine."
As my school motto goes, "Together We Make Great Things Happen," so spread the word.
Make Papa proud.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, for those of us that know you, we understand your dyslexic moments, so I’ll put this in true context.......I, Chris, took a dump this morning that took two runs of "Money Won't Change You," "Cold Sweat," "It's A Man's World," "It's a Man's World" (note the redundancy, Freudian slip perhaps?) and the aptly named "Get Up (I Feel Like Being A
Sex Machine) (yes, dear boy, we all know WHY you must turn around and look at those turd missles, I’m sure Freud is giving you a ... ahem... standing ovation in the grave).

Oh, and far be it from me to put down the musical genius of the man, however, I feel some perspective must be put on the “Papa” nostalgia. Let’s try this one on for size -- “I gave her two black eyes and knocked out her front teeth in less time than it took the bitch to ‘Pass the Peas.’”

Merry X-Mas, Nappy,

Me

Oh, and have you thought to check your roof for coal? Perhaps Santa did a drive by. Or maybe Rudolph was suffering from gastrointestinal distress and left you a gift of his own.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home